Adopted by the Board on June 9, 2020
- Endorsements are overseen by the LACYD Board, led and organized by the Political Committee, and ultimately confirmed by a vote of the membership.
- As our membership is based in LA County, LACYD does not consider endorsements in elections occurring elsewhere except when the Board determines that special circumstances warrant such consideration.
- Requests for Endorsement of a candidate or ballot measure in any given election can be submitted any time. The LACYD Board may reach out to campaigns regarding elections considered important for the organization.
- The LACYD Board will determine on a rolling basis the races in which the organization will consider an endorsement. Although the LACYD Board reserves the right to consider an endorsement in a race at any time, Requests For Endorsement received fewer than 60 days prior to the election in question may not be considered.
- For any election in which the LACYD Board has decided to make an endorsement, each Democratic candidate or each representative of a ballot measure shall have the opportunity to respond to a detailed Questionnaire. If the LACYD Board determines by majority vote that interviews are warranted, all Democratic campaigns in that election will be invited to appear.
All endorsements must be approved by a membership vote, with those endorsements recommended by the Board placed on the consent calendar.
- Endorsements placed on the consent calendar can be removed (or “pulled”) if 15% of voting members present vote to do so.
- An endorsement will be voted on by only those dues-paying members who have been members at least four days in advance of that vote.
- For further details regarding voting on endorsements by the membership, please consult the Bylaws.